Canadian Cloth Diaper Stores

Friday, July 23, 2010

The Simplicity of Prefolds

I have a confession! I used to tell people that if I had to use prefolds I would not do cloth diapers. Yes, it’s true. The simple rectangle of absorbent cotton even scared this cloth diaper addict. When I got pregnant with my second child I did buy some with the intention of using them but never did. When I had my 3rd I knew I should give them a try, if for nothing else to tell my customers an opinion of them. When my 3rd child was born a month early he was the smallest baby I had ever had weighing a little more than 6lbs. Although I was armed with a lot of diapers I did not expect such a small baby as my others were closer to 7.8 lbs. With 3 children at home and laundry galore with 2 in diapers; prefolds became my first grab over all the expensive diapers. They were so versatile that the preemie size fit him right away. I was able to fold over the top to cover his little parts and keep the absorbency where I wanted. The ease of washing and drying with no stuffing or folding was a sanity saver. I was able to do laundry quicker which in my land of 3 small children is a necessity. I simply would pile the prefolds on top of one and another and stacked them in the drawer. My baby had GERD and anyone who has lived with a baby with this extreme reflux knows how often they projectile. My prefolds were great at catching it all. I was going through 18 bibs a day, the prefolds can hold a good spit up unlike the little bibs. At almost 1 yr old now I still use the prefolds. I keep them on the change table if a little poop gets on them I am able to throw them in the wash and not have to change the table cover. I also use them as inserts by folding them in pocket diapers. Absorbent and trim its perfect for this application. There are not many baby products that you can get this kind of mileage from for the nominal price. Later I can use them as cleaning rags or donate them to a mom in need. My mom still uses the prefolds from when I was a baby (30+yrs ago) as cleaning rags... that’s REAL value. If you are not a prefold user I suggest you give them a try. There is nothing complicated about them and you may just fall in love with the simplicity of them like me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment